In a direct response to Apple’s announcement that it will take 30% of any sale of subscription apps through its online store, Google announced yesterday that it was launching its One Pass content subscription and management system for online publishers (which includes mobile apps). It offers the flexibility to charge for a variety of models including subscriptions, day passes, metered access, pay-per-article and multi-issue packages. Google One Pass is powered by Google Checkout and the key fact is that Google will keep only 10% of each sale, leaving 90% to the publisher, as opposed to Apple’s 30% / 70% split. In a direct strike at Apple, One Pass offers payments in mobile apps outside the app market, as long as the mobile OS terms permit transactions to take place outside of the market. Another big carrot for content publishers is that customer data – name, postcode and email address but not billing information – will be automatically shared with the publisher, unless purchasers opt out. (Apple gives purchasers a choice via a pop-up window – share or don’t share.) The timing of this announcement from Google is key. Apple announced its new terms yesterday and invoked an immediate backlash from content publishers like Rhapsody, saying that the 30% / 70% split will be unmanageable. See today’s edition of the Music Ally report for an in-depth feature on what this all means and how the industry has reacted. 
Source: TechCrunch

EarPods and phone

Tools: platforms to help you reach new audiences

Tools: Kaiber

In the year or so since its launch, AI startup Kaiber has been making waves,…

Read all Tools >>

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *