There’s an ongoing debate about when (or whether) the pace of digital music growth will pick up enough to make up for physical music’s decline. But a look at what’s happening in the US newspapers industry might make music execs feel better about the state of our industry. A report by the Pew Research Center claims that for every $1 gained in digital revenues by newspapers there, $7 is being lost in print revenues. “We have all these [new] products we are working on that we believe are going to deliver results that are part of our sustainability,” says one unnamed executive interviewed for the research. “But we need to eat today.” Another outlines the dilemma for newspaper execs. “There might be a 90% chance you’ll accelerate the decline if you gamble and a 10% chance you might find the new model. No one is willing to take that chance.”

EarPods and phone

Tools: platforms to help you reach new audiences

Tools: Kaiber

In the year or so since its launch, AI startup Kaiber has been making waves,…

Read all Tools >>

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *