The focus for anti-piracy measures has well and truly shifted back to ISPs in recent years. Some latest updates from the anti-piracy barricades, then, starting with Ireland. The High Court has ordered ISP UPC to introduce a three-strikes scheme to deal with persistent illegal downloaders – and what’s more, it will have to suck up 80% of the costs, with major labels paying the other 20%. 

The judge’s ruling is quite something, too: “The current generation of writers, performers and interpreters of music cannot have their livelihoods destroyed by advances in technology which allow persons to breach their constitutional rights with impunity…” Meanwhile, in Spain ISPs were told on Friday they had 72 hours to block access to The Pirate Bay – the first such block under the country’s Sinde Law. Finally, Danish ISPs have been ordered to block 12 piracy sites – not The Pirate Bay, as that’s been blocked in Denmark since 2008. Among the latest additions to the block list there are KickassTorrents, Music Bazaar, Isohunt and MP3 VIP.

EarPods and phone

Tools: platforms to help you reach new audiences

Tools: Kaiber

In the year or so since its launch, AI startup Kaiber has been making waves,…

Read all Tools >>

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *