Previously seen as one of the basket-cases of the digital music industry, Spain is continuing its streaming-fuelled revival.

Figures released by ProMusicae show that the recorded-music market there rose 4% year-on-year in the first half of 2016, following a 7% rise in 2015. Yes, the market is still relatively small: €73.5m in the first half of this year, but at least it is still growing.

Digital now accounts for 63.5% of revenues in Spain, with streaming accounting for 55% of the overall figure, thanks to the growth in paid subscriptions. They now account for 69% of streaming revenues in Spain, with free streaming generating the other 31%.

In June, Music Ally’s country profile looked at the current market in Spain, when ProMusicae president Antonio Guisasola told us that “The number of users with a premium subscription increased more than 35% during the last 12 months, surpassing the threshold of half a million subscribers.”

EarPods and phone

Tools: platforms to help you reach new audiences

Tools: Kaiber

In the year or so since its launch, AI startup Kaiber has been making waves,…

Read all Tools >>

Music Ally's Head of Insight

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *