Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of current artists that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history. Sony Music Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
BD Associate Director: Growing Digital Dollars for a Global Music Label:
Sony Music is a global recorded music label, and a part of a portfolio of Sony Entertainment brands creating blockbuster films, consumer-friendly electronics, and mind-bending VR.
At Sony Music, we are passionate about helping our artists succeed in an industry that sees constant change and innovation. The Global Digital Business team is on the front lines, ensuring that we make the most of our relationships with major digital partners, such as Apple, and work with the most exciting digital music startups, like Spotify. We strive to be ahead of the curve and shape how customers connect with the artists and content they love.
As the Associate Director of Business Development, you will join a small group of data-savvy negotiators that focus exclusively on executing digital partnerships. Your role will have direct influence on industry developments and work on deals that benefit Sony’s entire artist roster, from legends, like Adele and Beyoncé, to up and coming stars, like Russ and Zhu.
– Share our passion for music and digital media
– Can add value quickly with a noteworthy analytical skill set, or music-industry experience
– Have a flair for presenting analysis outcomes clearly, thoughtfully, and creatively
– Enjoy both collaborative and self-directed projects and can work effectively in each
– Communicate articulately, actively solve problems, and provide a unique perspective
– Have a track record of questioning the status quo to achieve positive results
The position will form a critical part of SME’s Business Development team. You should expect to begin in a team support role, involving detailed modeling, analysis of existing deal performance, and recommendations for deal terms or new digital models. Eventually you will develop, lead, and execute your own deals directly with SME’s external partners
You will be successful in this role if you:
– Demonstrate a high level of proficiency with data analysis and scenario modeling
– Can see the ‘big picture’ and translate high-level strategy to its day-to-day implementation
– Create persuasive deliverables with the appropriate detail for decision-makers
– Can successfully navigate complex problems by crafting unconventional solutions
– Understand the typical concerns of digital content owners and potential music partners
– 4-year undergraduate degree
– At least one of the following:
1. MBA from top tier program, and/or relevant digital media experience
2. JD from a top tier program, and 1-2 years in a BD or sales role
3. 4-6 years experience in either: a top tier management consultancy, investment banking, corporate / business development, or a comparable digital media position AND demonstrable interest or experience in the music industry
– Fluency in Spanish, French, or Portuguese is not required, but is a plus (this role may occasionally work with local teams across the Americas)
– Compensation will be commensurate with experience