Job title: Product Owner
Responsible to: Head of Technology
Location of work: Kings Cross, London
Main purpose of role
Spinnup is a forward-looking, disruptive part of Universal Music, the world’s biggest group of record labels. As a digital distribution platform, unsigned artists use Spinnup to distribute their music to music services like Spotify and Apple Music. Using machine learning, the data from these services can be used to predict which artists have the most potential, so they can be introduced to Universal’s labels.
We are pioneers of data-driven talent discovery and our core values are around helping artists develop and giving them a path into the industry. We pay artists 100% of the royalties they earn and are passionate about helping them go further.
We have a rare opportunity for a new product owner to join our small, friendly and dynamic team and contribute to the development of the industry’s most innovative approach to finding new musicians. Your contributions will help talented new musicians make their music, upload it, monitor their streaming, sales and social media performance, promote themselves online and manage their catalogue.
As the ideal candidate, you are able to interface with the business and conduct research to create detailed visions of new parts of our product, making sure they deliver value for our artists and outcompete the market. You can closely manage the end-to-process of your visions becoming reality, from defining requirements, working with designers, guiding developers and testers and providing acceptance.
You are bold in communicating your design decisions and help stakeholders understand compromises made across opinions. You are a creative thinker, a faultless communicator, quick learner and a team player. You will be the central cog between various teams and your warm personality and approachability accelerate the flow of information around the business.
Above all, you are committed and passionate about providing top-class products for our artists.
- Understand our artist’s needs, behaviours and pain points through research, data collection and feedback from support
- Create, collect, catalogue and help prioritise both major and minor improvements to the product
- Manage the prioritised product backlog, helping to plan development sprints
- Lead the discovery, scoping and requirements gathering phases of product development, involving key stakeholders or working groups as appropriate, to contribute to the service roadmap
- Develop mock-ups and wireframes to help guide the design process
- Work with UX and UI designers to create beautiful and easy to use front-end designs
- Write detailed requirements, user stories and acceptance criteria that developers can follow easily
- Work with developers and testers to ensure your visions are delivered faithfully and without major defects
- Act as the main point of contact for suggestions, questions and internal support issues
- Deliver demos to team members, senior stakeholders and external partners
- Utilise data-driven insights and customer research to inform future product decisions
- Maintain detailed knowledge of the DIY distribution market and competitors’ services in order to find gaps in Spinnup’s offering
- Excellent communication and presentation skills across all levels of the organisation
- Being a creative thinker and problem solver
- Experience documenting requirements and acceptance criteria
- Experience using prototyping / wireframing tools
- Ability to explain rationale for product decisions
- Proactive with the ability to occasionally work within short timeframes under pressure
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to adapt
- Good understanding of software development process and available technologies (with experience in API, mobile or web development)
- A passionate interest in new technologies, digital and the entertainment industry
- Understanding of user-centred design concepts
- Knowledge of Agile / Waterfall
- Experience using tools such as Jira and Confluence
diversity and inclusion
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to a working environment where no one will be treated less favourably on grounds of their sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or age.
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder’s specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.