The Midemlab startups contest is now a key pillar of annual music industry conference Midem, and it’s come a long way since its original incarnation in 2008 as the ‘Music Ally / MidemNet New Business Showcase’.
SoundCloud won the 2009 contest, with The Echo Nest (later acquired by Spotify to become the core of its personalisation tech) one of the finalists. The 2010 contest, renamed as MidemNet Lab, included Kickstarter and Songkick in its final selection.
Since then, Midemlab has become a great annual snapshot of new startups in the music/tech space, and – disclosure! – Music Ally has been proud to be one of the selecting partners for the contest throughout its history.
Today, the finalists for Midemlab 2021 have been announced, after a selection process that involved narrowing down 203 submissions from 34 countries into a shortlist of 20 startups divided between four categories.
This year’s finalists are:
Music Creation & Education category
- Amptrack Technologies (Sweden), an online music creation app.
- Audio Design Desk (USA), an AI-assisted DAW, smart sampler and sound library app.
- Enjoy (China), an AI music training partner.
- HyVibe (France), a product that “turns the world into a speaker”.
- Infinite Album (USA), an AI tool to create copyright-free soundtracks for gaming livestreams
Music Distribution & Discovery category
- Hidden Bands (Canada), a free music discovery app.
- Moonai (Spain), an app that uses personalised sounds to alleviate menstrual pain.
- Music Traveler (Austria), a platform for musicians to book studios and practice spaces.
- Reveel (USA), business software for content creators.
- Rippla (UK), social platform allowing fan communities to connect around artists.
Music Marketing & Data/Analytics category
- ANote Music (Luxembourg), a marketplace for investing in music royalties.
- LAIFE (Germany), AI music to relieve mental health issues and enhance performance.
- Rightsholder (USA), a music rights search engine designed for sync and licensing.
- Secret Chord Laboratories (USA), a music forecasting tool for creators and their teams.
- Westcott Multimedia (USA), an automated advertising solution for catalogue music campaigns.
Live Music Experiences category
- Anything World (UK), a platform for creating 3D worlds and summoning items with your voice.
- Instruments of Things (Germany), a futuristic electronic music instrument maker.
- Live Now (UK), broadcasts online ticketed concerts to fans at home.
- Mach1 (USA), unifies spatial and multichannel audio for creators and developers.
- Ristband (UK), the bridge between real-world concerts and gamers.
Having helped to choose the finalists with fellow selecting partners Panache Ventures and TheLynk, we’re excited to see all 20 startups pitch during the Midem conference in November. We’ll bring you full coverage of the Midemlab sessions then. You can find out more about the conference, which is being held online, and register for free here.