Vevo is the world’s leading music video network, connecting an ever-growing global audience to high quality music video content for more than a decade. Founded by Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment in 2009, Vevo offers fans worldwide a vast array of premium content to choose from, showcasing official music videos alongside a constantly developing lineup of live performances and innovative original programming. From top superstars to rising new talents, Vevo brings incomparable cross-promotional support to artists across the musical spectrum, at every stage of their careers.
Vevo has consistently evolved over the past decade to lead within today’s ever-changing media landscape, embracing partnerships with a number of leading distribution platforms to deliver extraordinary content within ad-supported environments. With more than 26B views across television, desktop and mobile devices each month, Vevo brings music videos to the world – when, where, and how fans want them.
Vevo is available on YouTube, Samsung, Samsung TV Plus, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Echo Show, PlutoTV, Apple TV, Roku, Comcast (Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex), VIZIO, Sky (NowTV and SkyQ), Foxxum, XITE, NetRange, Redbox, T-Mobile Play, Virgin Media, Xumo, Telstra and Vewd.
We are seeking an Associate Manager, Business Affairs to join our small team of talented lawyers who are working to help grow Vevo’s global business at the intersection of music, media, and technology.
The Business Affairs team plays a key role in the company’s evolving strategy, ensuring that Vevo enters into smart, innovative agreements. As Associate Manager, Business Affairs you will provide business and legal counsel in connection with the company’s ongoing development efforts and day-to-day activities with a particular focus on Vevo’s UK and EU business. You will also support the company’s overall strategy and work cross-functionally with our International Content & Programming, Ad Sales, Commercial, Finance, Business Development and Business Operations teams. Eventually, you will manage your own deals directly with Vevo’s internal and external stakeholders. This role requires an individual who is an effective communicator, drafter, and negotiator, is adaptable, and has the ability to spot and resolve issues, all while supervising a high volume of deals from inception through execution.
As a member of the Business Affairs team at Vevo, you’ll be working alongside incredibly talented individuals who will both inspire you and challenge you to think about issues such as how best to navigate the intellectual property landscape, monetize content, and balance risk to create successful long-term partnerships. We often take time as a team to review complex legal issues and new advancements in the music, technology and media industries, and to think critically about various developments around us that may impact our overall strategy. We have a phenomenal unit made up of fun and accomplished individuals with diverse backgrounds, and we’re excited to have you join us!
This is a full-time position and is based in our London office.
As a member of the team, you will:
- Work closely with the various departments at Vevo, identifying risks and legal implications of the day to day running of each department and assisting where necessary by providing sound and pragmatic advice
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of agreements, including original programming and production; master use/content licenses; music publishing/PRO/collecting society agreements; agreements for distribution of Vevo content and/or applications via a wide array of digital platforms and devices; live events; ad sales and strategic marketing; software and technology; project management regarding property and insurance issues
- Understand and keep up with the changing regulatory frameworks and legislation in the territories in which Vevo operates across Europe (e.g., OFCOM, GDPR, IAB, CAP and ASA), providing advice to various departments to ensure compliance and helping to develop, draft, and enforce policies
- Assist with global trademark matters
- Be comfortable working independently and prioritizing tasks efficiently across different time zones
- Assist in the enforcement and protection of Vevo’s intellectual property rights, including the management of the take down claim process for videos distributed on the Vevo platform
- Assist in the management of litigation/claims in conjunction with outside counsel
- Develop and maintain standard form agreements
- Help to direct and work closely with outside counsel
- Collaborate with other members of the legal team to ensure business needs are met
This describes you:
- You are a strong negotiator and a great communicator
- You have the ability to navigate applicable regulatory frameworks and legislation in the territories in which Vevo operates across Europe
- You have the ability to explain legal risk clearly and effectively to internal stakeholders
- You are a creative problem solver who can suggest alternative ways to achieve practical and prudent courses of action
- You are highly committed and motivated with the ability to work under pressure and to right deadlines
- You share our passion for music and digital media and have a genuine curiosity for emerging digital technology
- You have a track record of questioning the status quo to achieve positive results
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and an ever-changing landscape and thrive in high pressure situations
- You can see the ‘big picture’ and translate high-level strategy to day-to-day implementation
- You have ideally 1-2 PQE at a top tier law firm or entertainment, media and/or technology company, including hands-on negotiation and drafting experience (although relevant experience in lieu of qualification would be considered)
- You understand international copyright law and are up to date on the various licensing structures and processes that are customary in the territories in which Vevo does business
- LLB in Law or University degree with relevant GDL conversion certification
- 2-3 years of experience in contract law, intellectual property, media, technology and/or entertainment
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic, creative environment.
- Willing to work extended hours, as needed
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
This is a full-time position based on-site/in the office. Vevo will operate in a hybrid work model and will require employees to be in office 2-3 days a week, on average. To qualify for the role you will need to be currently located near the office that you will be based out of, as well as provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to employment.
Music Ally’s next Learn Live webinar will help you build the strategies for artists to thrive in new international markets!