The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 900,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers, and represents some of the world’s most talented music creators. Founded and governed by songwriters and composers, it is the only performing rights organization in the U.S. that operates as a not-for-profit. ASCAP licenses a repertory of over 18 million musical works to hundreds of thousands of businesses that use music, including streaming services, cable television, radio and satellite radio and brick and mortar businesses such as retail stores, hotels, clubs, restaurants and bars. ASCAP collects the licensing fees; identifies, matches and processes trillions of performances every year; and returns nearly 90 cents of every dollar back to its members as royalties. The ASCAP blanket license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. ASCAP puts music creators first, advocating for their rights and the value of music on Capitol Hill, driving innovation that moves the industry forward, building community and providing the resources and support that creators need to succeed in their careers. Learn more and stay in touch at www.ascap.com, on Twitter and Instagram @ASCAP and on Facebook.
This position is integral to the Strategy and Development team, which is responsible for the growth and competitive strategy of ASCAP, as well as for business development, product development, strategic partnerships, alliances / joint ventures, data strategy, administration services, and other key business functions. This position is based in New York City and reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Strategy and Business Development.
This person will provide research and analytical support in forming ASCAP’s strategic goals, and assist with the sourcing, development, and management of external partnerships in support of those goals. This position also has a key role in facilitating collaboration and execution of cross-functional strategic initiatives and will interact with all levels of management across the organization. This highly visible role offers an incredible opportunity to drive tangible change in a dynamic environment as well as effect positive change within the music industry. We are looking for an impact-driven team player, excited about developing a diverse set of strategic capabilities at the intersection of music, media, data, and technology.
Areas of Responsibility and Accountability:
- Analyze industry trends, competitive landscape, growth opportunities and internal performance to help shape ASCAP’s strategy.
- Undertake analyses to drive key strategic decisions, growth initiatives and business development opportunities.
- Help prepare presentation materials for use with senior management and Board of Directors
- Identify process improvement opportunities and work with relevant stakeholder to recommend solutions.
- Support the development and management of the ASCAP Lab as well as the ASCAP Wellness Program, two strategic initiatives managed by the Strategy and Business Development Team
- Support development of strategic opportunities and negotiations with external parties (e.g., data, technology and/or media companies)
- Evaluate new opportunities and manage the vetting of inbound business proposals and inquiries!
- Liaise with external parties, ASCAP’s legal department, and other ASCAP stakeholders to drive contract negotiations.
- Prepare analyses in support of negotiations and develop recommendations for presentation to key stakeholders.
- Develop ongoing analyses to monitor and measure the health of existing partnerships.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 3-5 years’ experience from any combination of the following: top-tier management consulting firm, investment banking, and/or private equity firm; alternatively, or additionally, prior experience within corporate development, business development or strategy groups within traditional media, digital media companies or relevant start-ups will also be strongly considered.
- MBA strongly preferred but not required.
- Passion for the music and/or entertainment industries, new digital trends and technologies as well as a desire to make a positive impact on behalf of music creators.
- Knowledge of the media ecosystem and comfortable researching and analyzing developments in technology
- Strong project manager with the ability to structure goals and follow through with internal and external parties.
- Strong problem solving and analytical capabilities with strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to lobby stakeholders toward outcomes that positively impact a project or organization.
- Strong Microsoft PowerPoint skills and the ability to tailor messages for executive audiences.
- Strong Microsoft Excel financial modeling skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to thrive under shifting strategic priorities.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network.
- Vision plan that offers both in and out- of network provider options
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match.
- An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Short term disability Insurance / salary continuation and long term disability insurance
- Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance.
- Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
Please be aware that ASCAP is not a nut-free or other allergen-free workplace.
As a condition of employment, ASCAP requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (including a first booster, when eligible) against COVID-19. ASCAP will make reasonable accommodations for those who are unable to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination, where required by federal, state and local law, and in accordance with ASCAP’s policies.
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Occasional travel for in-person meetings may be required.
The anticipated base salary range for this position is $100,000 to $120,000 and will be determined on an individualized basis depending on several factors that are unique to each candidate including geographic location (due to differences in the cost of labor), skills, education, and prior relevant experience.
TO APPLY: https://jsco.re/dvsvg
Music Ally’s next Learn Live webinar will help you understand what’s required for artists to thrive in new international markets!