Tag: telegram

Read More

Tools :: Levellr

The original fan community concept – artist fan clubs – have shifted from physical mailing lists to email lists and now to online messaging platforms like Telegram and Discord. Fan communities are highly desirable at...
Read More

Messaging app Telegram now has 700m monthly active users

The milestone came with more news: the launch of a premium subscription tier where users will pay a monthly fee.
Read More

Music licensing evolves in response to new tech and trends

With Covid-19 continuing to curtail gigs, festivals and awards ceremonies, the sad-but-true fact is that Britain’s showcase music event of the year has probably been the parliamentary inquiry into music streaming economics. Despite...
Read More

Messaging app Telegram to start serving adverts in 2021

Encrypted messaging app Telegram has nearly 500m users, but it needs to start making money. Now the company has revealed part of its plans: advertising. Founder Pavel Durov announced that the ads will NOT appear in people’s...
Read More

RIAA targets Telegram in latest ‘notorious markets’ piracy list

US music-industry body the RIAA has submitted its latest list of sites and apps raising piracy concerns, for consideration for the next ‘notorious markets’ list produced by the US Trade Representative. Some familiar names...
Read More

Messaging app Telegram goes blockchain with own cryptocurrency

Telegram has become the second major messaging app (after Kik) to explore blockchain technology, including its own cryptocurrency. TechCrunch reports that the company is planning to launch the ‘Telegram Open Network’,...
Read More

Telegram blocks channel after music-piracy complaint

Sorry, at the time of writing Taylor Swift hasn’t put her new album ‘Reputation’ on streaming services as a post-Thanksgiving gift to fans. Today’s Taylor story focuses on another aspect to the album’s rollout:...
Read More

Mail.ru takes full ownership of vKontakte social network

Russian internet firm Mail.ru acquired 52% of social network vKontakte in 2007, but now it owns the other 48%, having paid $1.47bn for the shares from Blesmir Development and Palagon. TechCrunch notes that as part of the...
Read More

WhatsApp now has 465m active users, but some are fleeing to rivals

Last week's big news in the social networking space was Facebook's announcement that it will pay up to $19bn to acquire messaging app WhatsApp